St. Simeon Properties consists of four not-for-profit corporations, whose mission is to provide good, well-maintained and affordable housing for people of moderate means who are 62 or over and/or handicapped with a mobility impairment. It is the intention of St Simeon to:
- provide housing that will prolong the period of time seniors and individuals with mobility impairment can remain independent
- provide facilities and services that will enrich the lives of seniors in the area of social interaction and health maintenance
- be of assistance, either directly or by referral, for needs particularly relevant to the elderly
- do everything possible to ensure the integrity, privacy and well-being of all residents, and to deal with all the residents in a caring and compassionate manner
St. Simeon is located on the property formerly owned by the Kinkead sisters, Jennie and Elise. While they lived across the street from this property on Route 9, South Port, they had parties, gatherings and Sunday dinners at Maple Grove. They gave the original 5 acres to Zion Episcopal Church in 1968, who formed the St. Simeon Foundation. St. Simeon Foundation built and opened St. Simeon Second Mile in May 1972.
(Please visit their website at: http://www.stsimeon.org).
In 1987, the last Kinkead sister, Elise, passed away, leaving the rest of the Maple Grove property (approximately 30 acres) to St. Simeon Foundation.
Three housing companies are all located at 24 Beechwood Avenue, Poughkeepsie, on 36 picturesque acres:
- St. Simeon Second Mile Corporation (St. Simeon I) - 845-471-5766: opened in 1972, with 100 apartments and seven buildings. Applicants must be at least 62 years of age. Eligibility is based in part on income which can change annually. Call 845-471-5766 for this information.
- St. Simeon II H.D.F.C., Inc (St. Simeon II) - 845-471-9651: opened in 1992, with 60 apartments and four buildings, following the guidelines of HUD. In addition to people age 62 and older, this property can accept applicants who are younger but they must meet two other requirements; they must have a mobility impairment and must need to live in a handicapped accessible apartment. Eligibility is based in part on income which can change annually. Call 845-471-5766 for this information.
- St. Anna H.D.F.C., Inc. (St. Anna) - 845-452-6335: opened in 1997, with 70 apartments and two three story buildings, following the guidelines of HUD. Applicants must be at least 62 years of age. Eligibility is based in part on income which can change annually. Call 845-471-5766 for this information.